je ne sais quoi

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Downer [Stage 16]

Hello.


That bicycle is wasted. Hanging by a thread, I think. Or by a chain-link. It isn't shifting well anymore, the neutral support laughed upon measuring the chain for wear, it has energy drink residue all over it, tires nearing the 2000k mark this month alone, and the symphony of noises has new intrumentation joining it daily. One more day, guy. Hang in there.

Stage 16: The Great Downer Avenue Bike Race

Downer would be the 7th consecutive day of racing for me. A new record. Also my 14th start of the series. A record in madness. But like I touched on in the last entry, none of that matters anymore. Everyone else is in the same boat, and they're just 100k motor pace sessions with a little kick at the end.

Downer. To me, it isn't any different from the other races. The crowds are massive, yes, it's in a swell Milwaukee suburb, and there is the silly super-prime (which I would lobby to spread out...$200 laps...the whole time!)...but...same purse...same points. That's what it comes down to. The race: The composition of this one is different because of the combination of cash and crowds in large doses. Staging was completely ridiculous. Zero enforcement of any kind, and people staging as far wide as the inside of the neutral support area. Madness. There's got to be a photo out there. Photos of me at this race will prove elusive. I didn't do a damn thing the entire race. Felt fine, and took nearly half the race before I settled in comfortably behind the jerseys. Turn 2 was always interesting. Really...not alot to report. 10 to go, the jockeying began. Legs were fine, so I jockeyed, too. Kelly Benefit lined it up for another one of their leadouts. 5 to go, I'm good. It was very stressful each time the field bunched up before turn 3...total madness, accident waiting to happen. Bell lap................I'm ~10 back. Turn one, check. Turn two I blasted into, full-gas, followed by full wheel-skid brakes, followed by another full-gas thrust. Legs were ok. Relative to everyone else, anyway. Then...the slight bunch up before turn 3....and Wyoming's Finest, Adrian Geritts (La Grange) hit the deck hard. I was 2 wheels back, on the inside, and luckily he fell to the outside. I saw sparks, and jussst missed his rear wheel. Had legs, but lost the nerve to make the jump, and followed wheels to finish 11th. The 14th money placing in a row, and the 6th consecutive points placing.


One more day. As it stands, i'm 12th overall with 88 points, tied with another guy. In the amateur, I sit in 5th. Ironically, all the main contenders were in the break with me at Kenosha, so no ground was made there. It pays only 5 deep, and pays well...so I am motivated to hopefully overtake the guy ahead of me and keep the other one behind me. Also...it's great that "Best US Amateur" is being won by a Colombian former-pro, and also ahead of me is amateur Jonathan Page. Annoying, really.

A top 10 in the pro would be a dream...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

top 10 for you would be my dream to kaklan

5:46 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just for the record, I did NOT leave the above comment. :) You are welcome to lean your dirty bike up against my white furniture any time you want. I encourage it, really.
It was great having you here!!

9:34 PM

 
Blogger Aram said...

cmon...the contact patch on the couch is perhapsssssss 1/8" squared. Cat=MVP host. Thanks a zillion.

9:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home