je ne sais quoi

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Hola Y Bienvenidos...

Okay. 4 races down so far. Proud to report that i've taken money in each one, and am still in the green as far as race fees go. I've got two to report on, The first road race in the series, the Alpine Valley RR, which was on monday, and Yesterday's Saturn-Whitnal Park RR. I took wednesday off.

Monday's Road Race: Alpine Valley

The course was shortened from 100 to 75 miles due to a 1 hour delay during the start. I think sometime during this hour, while lying in the grass, I got bit by something, because my right forearm is really swollen...even now. Anyhow. I really don't have much to report on this race. I felt fine the whole way. I was never in difficulty at any point, but only finished 35th (the last money spot!). Small groups just escaped off the front bit by bit, and up untill the last lap (of 7), I was still in pretty good company with regards to the quality of riders around me. But it became apparent on the last lap that we were the 3rd group on the road, as the pace really slowed, and we were left with a group of around 13 guys. I heard people saying "oh, there's at least 30 guys up the road", but couldn't believe it 'till I saw the results. I finished 2nd in my little group at the end, barely making it in the money. Eh. More aggression in the next road race....

Wednesday's Road Race: Saturn Whitnall Park

This is really just a circuit race (2.5 mile circuit), and is the shortest race of the series at only 90 kilometers. Awesome course though, something for everyone, with a nice kick about 400 meters from the line, and a slight uphill finish as well. This race almost always ends up in the field sprint, but I played it reallly aggressively anyway. About 5 laps in (of 20), I made the mistake of gluing myself to Karl Menzies' wheel. Man. He jumped at the hill. We had a gap. Jumped again at the start/finish, and finally (and to my great relief) we bridged up to a very promising break. I was completely spent from the bridging effort, and looked back to see no one. Nice. Recovered a bit, but it turned out that the group was too large (15) for proper cohesion, so we eventually came back. Then. The lowpoint of my superweek...10 laps to go, they announce a [meager] $25 prime. I was in great position, and attacked at the top of the hill. I looked down at my rear wheel, and saw that one guy went with me. I took him along anyway. Then slowed up at 150 meters to make it look like i'd faded, then just as he came around, I jumped, and passed him. I was cruising to certain cash...when all hope was lost. Menzies had apparently been on my wheel the whole way, and pipped me at the line for the $25. Gah. The three of us opened a giant gap from the effort, but I was physically and mentally shattered. Almost ready to drop out. What's he going to do with $25???? Eh. I promptly thanked him for the lesson a few laps later. He laughed. The next 10 laps were spent (1) trying to recover while (2) not getting dropped. A break of 4 had gone up the road, so the pace was high. I recovered okay, found the legs in the field sprint, and took 25th. Again, I felt great in the sprint, but these "sprints" at super week are really just about keeping position. It's very hard to make up ground unless you've got a really good wheel, which again, I did not have. Ah well.

Today's gonna be a daisy...Shorewood Criterium. Big money. Big Cars. NRC. Fast course. Legs are great. And the Amgen booties look like Superman boots. These things happen...

Nice photos from cyclingnews:

Here
&
Here


AND...a hearty congratulations to Brent on winning U23 Time Trial Nationals. I've been saying it for months (years?)...he is the MVP.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home