je ne sais quoi

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Engines/Simi/Track

Engines.

This story is from Friday afternoon's ride. Just riding around town, through the park, a nice 2 hour spin all over Hollywood. I usually go up beachwood canyon...nice ride up to the Hollywood sign, then down the other side into Griffith Park. So today everything is just swell, until this little Honda with a Texas plate buzzes me (inches...and for NO reason with his compact...obviously intentional) on Franklin Ave. Okay. Words are exchanged, he darts off, and of course, gets caught at a light. More [creative] words were exchanged, and I turned right on Beachwood and went on my way. What I said must have struck a chord. 1/4 mile up Beachwood, he rolls up! Hmmm. More words and a brilliant "Get off the road!" was thrown my way. Then he stops his car, opens his door. One foot on the ground, the other on the accelerator. He starts revving his engine? Really?? Did he want to race? Should I have flexed my calves? Idiothhh.

Simi:

Yesterday was my first Simi ride of the year. Shite. In short, I got my ass kicked. I rode out to the start from home, and didn't even feel good during that 90 minute segment. Typical, I think, because of what the base has done to the body. I can go at 80% all day. But 82%? Nope, not for more than 5 minutes. It'll come though. The whole ride is really just some rollers, with 3 "major" hills, the longest being "7 minute". Really nice parcours for me, when in form, of course. Can't wait to go back next weekend. I'm treating it as a race, and will try to get a ride there this time instead of riding the 30 miles out.

As expected, every socal hotshot from miles around was at the ride...some with their annual dissertations about how "this is THE year" for them. Some guys were already showing off next year's new team bikes (me included! thank you Time) and kits (won't have mine 'till March, looks like). It was nice to see the whole scene...

Track:

And then I saw the whole scene again that same evening, at the World Cup Track event at ADT. The first non-local track race I've ever seen, and WOW. Honestly, everyone should try to come out and see one of these things...and the place was packed! Very surprised by that. At the local races i've done out there the place has about 40 people show up, 35 of which are racers, 4 of them officials, and really, that's about it. Last night's points race was incredible. a 19 year old Australian kid rode brilliantly, and took the win on the last sprint. Awesomeness. And Gregory Bauge......what an effort. The match sprints (first ones i'd ever seen) were intense. Such a mind-game...and then they go balls out for 500 meters and are SOOO out of gear come the line, but the form still perfect. Great stuff. Wish I could go to today's event as well.

Why is this bike in the backyard?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home