je ne sais quoi

Monday, May 28, 2007

Hucked Up

Bonjour,

[Good Day]

Not really. It's been overcast and rainy for the last couple of days. I'll jump right to it. This "chronicle" (how lame is my blog title? I've always thought it is) begins with the week's training. The team president said "Aram, you'll be doing a two-day three-stage stage race this weekend." Hey, thanks for the advanced word, big guy. I'll train accordingly. And did. Smashed it on tuesday, long wednesday, zero on thursday, and some quality openers on friday. A note on my "opener" sequence...it's more than just a way to let the legs know that they'll be going to a big fun lactic-acid party the following day...I use the time to get the mind riled up as well. I really love these rides. Never do I feel more connected to my body and bike than at this time. Yep, and so, the mind, the legs, everybody was ready. Role call was a success...and I was giddy at the prospect of taking the good legs to a stage race. And...flat 17k TTT! This (from a time when I sent out annoying emails instead of the blogging thing...the file works, promise) was the last TTT I'd done. A pretty fun outcome. Okay...without further blather....the exxxxxxxxxciting pre-race segment....

Annoying Toll Booths

Action. Chaos. Can't wait to do this thing. yeahhhh!

The first stage was in the city of Macon. 40k north of Lyon. First thing I noticed was how big-time it all seemed. Huuuge huge caravan, bunch of classic cars to lead the race, at least 20 motos, a big huge stage just for sign-in purposes. There was even a 30 page magazine to accompany the race. Like a "program" in some ways. Right on! First step was to find a toilet...this is always a challenge in France. But, I found a cafe. Bought an espresso, and thus, bought my toilet privilege. Spirits were high...it's always gratifying to find a toilet. There was a little 5 piece brass band wearing matching outfits. Of course the saxophone player was trying to smoke his cigarette between notes. Now, the next task was to get the blood-sugar flowing. Energy levels were already bouncing around pretty nicely, so it wouldn't be too difficult to keep them there. I went back to the team car to put my kit on and take in some sugary race juice.

Pre-Race Hucker Entertainment

En route to buying toilet privileges. Fav pants. Fav shirt.

A teammate casually, almost proudly, said "Aram, you're not racing." What? WHAT? I was heated. I investigated. 5 riders per team, maximum of 2 category 1 racers. I am 1st category. Those spots went to Herve (classy super climber), and Michael (18 year old australian kid who has been sick and/or DNF for the last month). Sure enough, I was not on the race program, and would not get a number. My first thoughts were not "oh, why aren't I racing?", but that I'd wasted the week lying to myself and my body and training for nothing. This completely derailed the algorithm i'd successfully gone with for the past month. I was, at the very least, pretty upset. Why'd I get a massage last night? Why'd I do those openers on friday afternoon? Why'd I just eat all this sugary garbage? Then, I thought: why would I been left off the roster despite being the top placed UCA rider in each of the last 3 weeks?? Gah. Clearly a huge misunderstanding and even more clearly, a huge waste of my time to be out there for the entire weekend when I could be at home relaxing in an empty house discovering new french cheeses at will. And to miss that TTT. GaH. Okay. Done.

One Bike Was Never Unpacked

So after taking a couple of breaths and realizing that "what's done is done", I had an epiphany. I ran to the team truck before it left to get my bike and kit, and suited up in 3 minutes. I asked the DS what city the team hotel was at. "Belleville." Okay, I'll see you at 6:30, and I was off, to see France's 2nd largest city, Lyon...and though I was still upset, I was happy that I would at least not have to undergo the agony of following the race way back in the caravan staring at the same rear bumper for 4 hours. All in all, it ended up being a great day. I did the same thing the following day as well. Took plenty of photos. My main mission was to find a burrito, but happily settled on a falafel sandwich which ended up being quite good. Anyhow, when France gives you lemons....



...be a tourist

Not The Classiest City Limit Sign, But Hey, We're Here

Free (for 20 mins) Bike Rentals Throughout Lyon

You know how people abuse rental cars? People abuse these bikes, too. I saw a couple guys jumping curbs and laughing all about. Funny!

A Happy Tourist

Tourist Photo

Tourist Photo...With A Twist...

HUGE crowds for the "throwing the steel ball" game I still don't understand.

Triplets of....

Hi.

Adieu

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures...but i really do wonder how you take some of these pictures...hangin out by urself...or riding away from the camera...strange.

9:44 PM

 
Blogger Hereford Flyer said...

Sorry to hear about the **** up with the stage race. Glad to hear you are enjoying the Actic Monkeys - been listening to more Interpol + looking forward to their new album. Another group/album worth a listen is Kaiser Chiefs 1st album Employment
- again one of those albums were every track is good.
Digging through my music library + came up with a few real classic tracks you may enjoy:-
Rage against the machine - Killing in the name of.
Veruca Salt - Seether.
Pearl Jam - Even Flow.
Pixies - Veloria.
Stone Temple Pilots - Vasoline.
Tragically Hip - At The Hundreth Meridian.
Smashing Pumpkins - 1979.
David Sylvian and Ryuichi Sakamoto - Bamboo Music.
Psychadelic Furs - Love My Way.

9:46 PM

 
Blogger Brent Bookwalter said...

Yo Aram. Keep em coming!! your making me want to get back there and race. bunk o rama on the result situation a week ago. still, making the break 2 weeks in a row! I can Preciate dat! enjoy it and keep us updated.

4:33 AM

 
Blogger Skye Kraft said...

Loved this post - especially the captions. It's like Survivorman on Discovery - he's out there in the woods by himself with some camera equipment and yet he still produces an hour-long subscription-TV-quality show. One thing though: bears don't care about cameras nearly as much as Europeans; how do you do this without getting your camera ganked?!

Ignore the p'tics. Just ride.

7:40 PM

 
Blogger Aram said...

Skye hit it on the head...

Some of the "ride shots" are taken with crafty use of the timer option on the camera and a quick sprint to give the facade of a normal photo.

After taking a quick photo in downtown Lyon, however, a funny thing happened. I put it on timer, set it on a concrete bench, and took the photo. I rode back to the camera and picked it up. Kept riding. 10-15 k/h tops. Then...these two guys (16-20 years old) run after me, YELLING. "Monsieur! Monsieur!" He said that it was his camera i'd taken. "Oh? Is this your bike too?" I said. I called him a putain and rode off.

Close call, but really, who's going to snatch the camera in a 10 second window? Call me an optimist, but I don't see it happening.

8:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home