je ne sais quoi

Monday, August 18, 2008

Ivan Dominguez's Slipstream

And how I had it.....but didn't.

Brentwood GP:

First, massive thanks to the string-pullers who managed to put a race on in one of my favorite parts of our city. Right in the middle of the busiest part of the westside...and no parking lot, either! Right there on San Vincente, and a full 2 mile circuit for us to do circles on. The races were short (80minute p/1/2), but hey. Awesome vibe throughout, and Superweek-quality (rather, quantity) crowds. Field....not so much. Most all of our usual contingent of crit superstars (Bahati, etc...) were out in the midwest, winning crit nationals.

But ho ho ho....who's this? Ivan Dominguez signs up. Justin Williams was here from track nats. Saw Dave McCook. Veggie Oils. Zack Morris. Yeah. Not a stellar field, but who cares? I wanted to do well. The sprint? Parfaitttttttt pour moi. Big long fast and straight, witha little uphill kick to the line to sort things out. The legs were good, the field not so good, just an Ivan Dominguez and Justin Williams to contend with come those last few meters. Yep, just those two. Sprints. Speed. Got it.

Fast forward. The race? Nothing happened. I hope it was exciting for the crowds assembled, cause it sure was dull for the racers. Ivan Dominguez attacked, and most had the same idea...let him hang for as long as possible. And he did, 3-4 laps perhaps? Things come back together, and the bell lap sounds. Swellllllllllllll. 100 fresh guys throwing elbows, chopping wheels, trying to get to the front. Madness. Annoying. It just makes getting up there more of a hassle. Down the first straight, nothing happened. It was kinda slow. I rounded the final corner (which is a good mile from the line still...nothing final about it) in 10th wheel or so, and found myself on the left side, on a 5 star guy's wheel. All bad. We inched forward, the speed was slow, the swarm came. I was probably 50th wheel at this point. Terrible! But with great legs, and patience. I actually "signaled" right to get out of that box. Slowly, surely, I got free and moved up. Speed picked up. Maybe 500 to go, I was in another box, but much further up, perhaps 20 back? I saw Ivan only a few wheels up, so I was in good position. No Justin. It was a messy slow-developing sprint. 250 to go, I'm 10 back, with Dominguez 2 wheels ahead. I saw an opening on the right, and blasted through it. Simultaneously, Dominguez made his move to the outside as well. Perfect!!! I was coming up on Ivan's slipstream! Madness.....this is second place, at a minimum, guaranteed. 200 to go. Green blur to my left...coming towards me fast. Who was that other guy I'd mentioned? Yep. What follows gets filed under "that's racing", but if we had an overhead helicopter view of it, there'd be certain DQ for going that lateral in a sprint with no regard for whatever wheel you might be smashing. My wheel was raped while justin made his move for Ivan's wheel. Since we were going 40+ at this point, the momentum helped me keep it up right, but my left pedal clipped out. I thank my lucky stars (and the predictability of the so-great Time RXS) that I found the pedal again on my next pedal stroke and managed to limp in for 12th.

Not upset at all. If it were anyone else (Bahati included), i'd be livid, but I know there wasn't any malicious intent here. Just another guy trying for Ivan's wheel. I didn't think i'd say this, but I'm sad to see the season end. Of course it'd be sad when you end it on good form. I have this crit game dialed, man! But hey, "all good things..." right?

Thanks for following. I don't know what else I'd blog about, so the blog frequency should drop. Maybe only french entries indefinitely. hahaa.

Salut!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the posted results (at scnca) say you got 11th. Hope you got all Chet's $...

4:14 AM

 
Blogger Aram said...

thanks for the heads up. Race paid pretty well. Nice and both kinds of deep.

4:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lost your email as I told you. Drop me a line so we can catch up. C'dale ALLEN

8:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home