je ne sais quoi

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Long Time...

Hey Readers,

Been a long time, a week? Apologies. Riding Riding Riding. Yeah, that's what I do. It's been rough lately, however, and I'll only skim the surface here, but support for my riding and racing has basically gone to shite over the last couple weeks, mainly on the family front, and the stupid stress that comes with it has really effected my motivation, and ultimately, my racing. Well. More on this as it develops. I'm still riding and training, and looking for a few more results, to have something to present to a decent team in the coming months.

Anyhow. The weekend? Shite. I rode the bike over to Woodland Hills on sunday, to race the Barry Wolfe GP. I know of Barry. I frequent the rides he's founded multiple-times per week (the barry ride out of griffith park on tuesday/thursday mornings is the one I most frequently do). So I thought it right to head out there and do the race. He was a rad guy from what I hear. So I slip on the skinsuit, no pack. Just me, my bike, and my atm card (for cash). Show up just in time, with approximately 10 minutes to go for my race. Get the waiver, give the cash. They ask for my license. I say "b0188580". This has never ever been a problem for me before. There were two volunteers sitting at registration. A kind woman, who said "wow, you're lucky, we were just about to put this away", and some geechy looking skinny guy who was just sitting there. The woman then said "No license, huh?" and looked to her right, where that guy was sitting...he immediately comes with "No license? you're not racing." I plead: "This has happened countless times before, check the computer, ask ANYONE here. They know me!" "I don't know you", then he turns to some elderly woman on the grass , and [sarcastically] "do you know him?". I am infuriated. With great difficulty, I kept my composure, and said "couldn't you check the computer? or ask an official?". Remember, I've never seen this guy before in my life. He isn't a USCF official or anything. Just a volunteer. He comes with an affirmative "No.". "So I'm not racing?" He nods. I lose composure and say "you know? you're what's wrong with racing." Then he expertly turns that around and says "You're what's wrong with racing." Right. I. 23 year old cat 1 that scrounged the $30 to race. So the rest of this story does not really matter. I did not race. Guy [whose name is Anton Gonzalez] went nuts, said "I've traveled all over the world racing bikes!". Umhmm. And you hassle me for not having a license on hand?! As a former bike racer (allegedly...I cannot confirm this), you'd think he'd be the last one to stiff me like that. Real harsh. Yeah, I was wrong to lose composure, and for that (and for potential obscenities that may have been uttered) I am sorry. Still, no excuse for his actions.


Monday, Memorial Day, Long Beach CBR Crit Day. Got there okay and on time. Didn't bring the license, they didn't hassle me (I have since found my licenses and won't have this issue at future races). The race? For some reason, this course always attracts a gigantic pro/1/2/3/4/5 field. Yes, it feels like they take everyone who'd raced earlier in the day, and throw them in with us. Eh. I rode right up at the front for the first couple laps. Drifted back for an instant, and poof. my race was over. A 20 man break containing Tony Cruz somehow slipped off the front. gah. I still felt good, went to the front, and chased. Not a single wank amongst the 120+ guys in the field helped. And worst thing? We were within 15 seconds of the break. I probably could have bridged solo if I had to, but I felt generous, and went to the front of the field, head down, and made a nice big pull. Not an attack. At all. I look back, and there's a huge gap after a couple riders. You get shot racing like that in my hood...opening up gaps and all that. That's likely how the break (of 20!!) got away to begin with. Eh.

















Friends Lisa and Johnny having Thai in Hollywood

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

anton sounds like a real gem. power trip for a day.

12:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aram,
I don't really know you though I have seen you at the races. I was most impressed with yur riding at Superweek last year when I was getting my ass handed to me. Anyways the point of this blog is about your enounter with Anton Gonzales.
I've been around SoCal racing for ages and have seen him around. He did race a while ago. I remember him doing races in the early '90's. If he was travelling around the world, I don't recall results. Maybe they were before I was racing. He used to paint frames under the name Lizart. Very basic designs. I saw him at the reg. desk also and when I registered, he was too cool for words.
You're lucky that you have never been hassled for your license in SoCal before. They used to be really strict on this, although, it makes sense in the computer age that they don't have to be. Too bad Steve Burton wasn't around the reg. desk. Steve was the promoter and is a very cool guy.

Josh Webster

5:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They probably didn't hassle you for your license on Monday because it was a CBR race. If you don't have the license, just pay the extra $7.

5:48 AM

 
Blogger Clara said...

GAAHH....sounds like you needed a pirate there...

11:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

5:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home