je ne sais quoi

Friday, July 14, 2006

This Entry Will Be About Bike Racing, Too

Aren't they all?

Hi.

Yesterday was the first NRC race of the series. I guess that makes it a big deal, and it showed; the day brought the highest number of pros so far in the series. People from all over the place....pro teams I didn't even know existed were here. Anyhow, the race was blazing fast the entire way through. There wasn't a characteristic lull here, at all. Some breakaways tried, but it wasn't going to happen on a course like this. I was conservative for the first half. Wasn't at the front, didn't go for primes, just followed wheels. In retrospect, I'd say I was a bit intimidated by the myriad of pros out here and the "NRC" status of the whole thing. Ah well. I eventually realized that (1)I still felt good and (2) it's the same damn thing as the "non-NRC" races. Okay, so legs are okay, and I'm in good position. New paragraph.

Allow this one tangent: Alex Candelario. When I first started racing, I dug his style: Always there in the sprint, sometimes winning out of a breakaway, often successfully leading out Jonas Carney (who is high in the running for "nicest guy on a bike -ever") multiple times. He rode the sweet campy-equipped Orbeas for Jelly Belly that I once envied. I even dug the ocassional colums he'd write for some random bike magazines. You get the idea: I admirably looked up to him. However, after racing alongside him a handful of times, I've come to the unquestionable conclusion that the guy is the biggest asshole in the domestic peleton. I had a couple run ins with him yesterday, and each time in a blatantly condescending [and unnecessarily loud] tone, he put me down like i'm some cat 5 chump in a bike race for the first time. This was not the first run-in. Every time I've raced with him, and shown myself at the front, same thing: "Get the FUCK back there, what are you doing?". How are aspiring pros supposed to properly develop and advance with guys like this calling the shots? Luckily, he's one of few. Most of the guys out here are generally swell people. That's all I've got on this subject. If he keeps rubbing me the wrong way, however....

Okay...back to racing...So I was comfortable, in good position. the primes were HUGE on the day, and I wanted a piece...With 7 laps to go, opportunity knocked. 7 laps to go is too soon before the finish for the 'core guys to sprint for it, but they rang the bell for $100. I was in about 25th wheel at the start of the lap. Getting the prime was on the back of my mind, but sitting that far back, didn't think I'd have the chance. Then a really nice hole opened up which Denis Hauesin (Milram) jumped into, and I followed. Maybe a sketch line, but I went into turn 3 in 6th wheel. Perfect. Denis kept looking around, he never really sprinted or jumped, but [thankfully] kept a solid pace through the final corner (which is a monster 600 meters from the finish). As we rounded the final turn, Mr. Karl Menzies rolls past on the right side. I jumped on him immediately. He was following a wheel, and I was on him. Then with about 250 to go (long way out, I know), I heard a guy behind me about to jump (you know, gears shifting, breathing, change of direction, etc etc.), and jumped Menzies before the guy behind me could come past. And I took it cleanly and with several bike lengths. I even pumped my right fist...couldn't help it!!! $100! Aram-1 Menzies-1. Payback for the previous day. The rest is pretty straightforward. I recovered nicely after the prime effort (though Candelario almost knocked me into the curb as the head of the peleton rolled past), got back in, and had great position going into the last lap. No breaks were away, so it'd be the first true field sprint of the series. Again, I didn't really have a solid wheel, I found myself on the wheel of Kam Po Wong (Hong Kong Superstar)...better than nothing. Again, Candelario (maybe just to spite me), had pulled off his leadout, and put himself (going 10mph slower than anyone else) right in the middle of the final turn, screwing up lines for everyone. Eh. They didn't win. Karma comes 'round...in some ways. Robert Wagner (Milram) won. I finished 24th. Could have been better, of course, but at least I wasn't 26th!! So, took out $150 on the day, some points in the sprint competition (i've got to get myself in a long breakaway...then i'll be able to crack the top 5). Swell times, better legs. Schlitz Park tonight, and it's been pouring all morning. Addio!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think candelario deserves the ever so considered "stick in the spokes" mikey and i have discussed with you many times...just a thought.

10:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

5:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home