je ne sais quoi

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Aram: The Group Ride Slut

I do 'em all. I do 'em often.

Barry was first. Everything went swell. Put in a long 10 minute effort up Verdugo. It hurt like hell. I usually wait for the last mile to attack, but went early...I used to try this move all the time a couple years (and categories) ago. I felt like I HAD to prove something, you know? We've all been there. It's all just a bunch of low-pressure fun now. Especially in September. I used a timely green light through an intersection to launch the move, and stuck it. Nice times. I tried to sprint for the short hill on top of Chevy...I usually take this guy easy, but a guy I know only as "crusher" took it at the line. Swell times.......except when a guy crashed on the descent! A good, smooth rider, too. It's the gnarliest turn around, and rated at 10mph for cars...so really tight, bad camber, dots...the whole bit. It was my 3rd ride on the new bike....I narrowly missed running him over. I thought i'd left my "evasive maneveur" skills in the icebox.....

Next was the bowl. There's really nothing else to do. I've figured out how to go up and down the big ring without getting off the bike, but the most important function of a front derailleur, I've found, is not shifting -but holding the chain in place. One pedal stroke into today's sprint for instance, and the chain went on the small ring. Gah. Poor Christian was all alone at the finish line. I'll get one, but i'm not gonna rush. My beat to hell old Record one was great. It is missed.

Maybe the velo ride tomorrow? The legs still feel good somehow. Race-good...though I haven't really sprinted anything proper. I'm sure the sprint is off the mark. Not racing will do that. My legs have 2 week's growth on them as well. Classy. Right now, I can't wait to fall asleep so that I can feed the Koi in the morning. They missed a meal last night...and I alllllllmost have them [literally] eating out of my hand.

And a photo of me and the pups having a good time to close this out:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aram,

Name is Hrair Bebekian. Was at Aunt Houry's house over weekend Alexandra sent me to your blog. I know you from way......way back. anyway, totally into cycling now 2 years. Jack told me about you. Cool to know someone so good. Hope to see you sometime.

10:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home