je ne sais quoi

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Quick One....

Green Bay Criterium:

Green Bay. For those of you that don't know...if Wisconsin was a big left-hand mitten, Green Bay's the spot right between where the finger and thumb would go. It's really far away from most of the series, and a full 120 miles from Milwaukee, and a further 170+ miles from Elkhorn (where i'm staying)...but...I was able to get out there thanks to the generousness of my hosts out in Elkhorn. They suggested that I use their car to drive out! Normally I'd be too taken by kindness to accept, but I really wanted to race...the legs and energy levels were super...so I said "okay, thanks!", and was soon out with the jeep...AND it has cruise control. Fantastic. I drove to Milwaukee, and carpooled with a friend from there to Green Bay.

We got there with lots of time to spare. I watched the Cat 3 race. The course looked like it favored a breakaway. Some wind, long straightaways, flat. So. The race started...except it didn't. The pace was pitifully slow from the gun. Slow enough to clip out, stretch, stop and take a nature break, that slow. Things sped up eventually, and I was happy to find that the legs were super again. What's the worst thing that can happen when you have good legs? This: I missed the early move, despite being in nearly every move prior. 13 guys rolled off, hardly moving! I couldn't believe it, but the efforts of Monex and Sierra Nevada (who were well-represented in the break), kept the field at bay. I wasn't having it, and attacked lotsss of times. With the pace so slow, attacks were pretty effortless. Brian Jensen (Jelly Belly) was also pretty determined to bridge. Nothing. The gap was almost 2 minutes. I took a $50 prime pretty easily (I think I was the only one who heard it announced), and that took some pressure off. Still though, I needed something more. Drove ALL this way, borrowed a car, and for what? To get lapped? Nope. So riding around, I've made my entry fee money and some change...Sergio Hernandez (SoCal) put in a move on the backside. I went with him, and no one was behind me. Hm. I pull straight to the front, head down, and hey, we had a bit of a gap. Stefan Adamson (Milram) and Jensen bridge, with a Monex along to police the move. Hmm. Okay. A lap later, the break was nicely established. I still felt amazing. And decided "okay, I can goof around and try to conserve energy here, or I can work and make sure the break isn't caught". I worked. To our dismay, Adamson wouldn't work at all, he just stayed at the back. Jensen and I exchanged some healthy pulls. The lead car eventually went in front of us, meaning the other break of 13 lapped the field. I didn't hear time gaps, but it was down to 30" at one point, and it was coming down. No friggin way. Head down, forearms on the bars, this break's not getting caught, suckas. At some point, Two guys already up a lap (Jackson Stewart of Sierra Nevada and an amateur guy from Athletes By Design) bridged, with two others on the same lap as me and the rest of the break. So we had 8 total. Took some minor sprint points along the way. Then, 2 laps to go....they ring the bell for the break, "$300 prime to the leader of the next lap". Wow. Small group, 8 guys, I've worked plenty, but still felt fine. Dream come true? It stayed together up untill the last corner (which is 300 meters from the line). Adamson (who's fresh as can be) led it out, with Jensen in tow, then me. Perfect position. at 150, I jumped on the left side. 50 meters between me and $300....and the Monex guy came around the opposite side and took it by a wheel. Gahhhh. The three of us blew up the break, however, and rolled in the next lap, a bit spent (and a LOT dejected) from the prime effort, for 16th on the day. Eh. $120 total earnings. $420 would have been killer. Ah well. It was a good race, and I felt swell.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are riding well. I broke my rear wheel at Manitowoc, and haven't gotten all my stuff from LA just yet. I was thinking about doing Downers Ave, not sure though as my motivation is pretty non-existent.
-Faris

1:19 AM

 
Blogger Brent Bookwalter said...

nice racing Aram. Sounds like you had a fun trip. i've enjoyed the reports.

9:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home