je ne sais quoi

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Ultimo Palabras...

Two more races left to report on:

Well...Three.

Kenosha (friday): I showed up, on time and everything. While walking to registration amidst increasingly numerous dark storm clouds, I saw a trio of wet, muddy, and bleeding cat 3 riders who'd just finished their race. Right then, I lost all nerve....even though I'd been envisioning a result on this course. So I didn't register, and didn't race. Saved $37. However, it looks like lots of other people had the same idea as me...it looked like the smallest field of the series. Ironically, the sun poked through shortly after the race started. Gah.

Downer Ave: This is the biggest race in the series. Billions (almost) come out to watch. Little fat babies, drunk college frat guys, families of 6, grandmas, dogs. You get the idea: everyone comes to watch. "Something for everyone", I guess. The money is generally good here, too. I remember last year's winner got a laptop for winning. Swell. On the start line, lots of guys were just letting air out of their tires...there were dark clouds hanging all about. I kept my 125psi. So the race starts off...this is usually the moment where you find out how your legs are: Mine? Amazing. So I started off. Kept position amongst the top 20. Nothing crazy to report, honestly...only that I felt good, and was able to keep position easily. I took a $40 prime at some point, and just for kicks, contested all but 1 of the sprint bonuses, finishing 7th, 4th, 3rd. 5 laps to go sounded. Usual chaos ensued, but I saw none of it. Even down to the last corner it felt smooth and chaos-free (for me). On the last lap, we were coming into turn 3, I was in about 15th wheel. The entire pack was on the outside left, and I was on the right side near the head of that pack. Readers, it bums me to say that I didn't "Go for it" with a move the inside. The legs really wanted to, but I hesitated, and sprinted in for 12th. A good placing, but I've replayed that scene in my head a number of times. I was set on making the move, but there was another rider close by, so my mind instantly said "no", though in hindsight, I'm sure it would have been possible.


And...Whitefish Bay (the last day):

Again, legs felt super. Read down a couple entries....what's the worst thing that can happen if you have great legs? You miss the move of the day. I was in every break in the begining. With good riders, but the pack just wouldn't have it, and as soon as I took a break, gone. TWENTY riders. I was bummed, wanted a result here, and felt good. Steve Tilford turned to me and said "can you believe we missed it?", 'cause I think he was feeling springy, too, and was in the early moves alongside me. Eh. Not until later in the race, I turned my attention to primes. Primes were rough on the day, and most were a meager $20. I took only one, and Ken Hanson (BMC...and oddly...the guy who won the cat II green jersey and the RR at San Dimas last year), took one I was sure to get by coming wayyy off his line to make sure I didn't get by. Who does that? For a prime??? $20! Fool. So that was that. The race was confusing. I had no idea what was going on up the road, but it turns out (which i'd find out afterward) that only 5 of the 20 lapped. 7 of the 20 stayed up the road, and the rest were caught with 3 to go. I should have sprinted, but just rolled in and amazingly still finished 31st...6 spots out. Gah. Ah well. Good times.

Results:

Day 1-Beverly-OFF
Day 2-Menasha-16th
Day 3-Manitowoc-26th
Day 4-Alpine Valley-35th
Day 5-Proving Grounds-OFF
Day 6-Whitnal Park-25th
Day 7-Shorewood (NRC)-24th
Day 8-Schlitz Park (NRC)-25th
Day 9-Waukesha (NRC)-OFF
Day 10-Bensenville (NRC)-OFF
Day 11-Holy Hill-15th
Day 12-Cedarburg-26th
Day 13-Green Bay-16th
Day 14-Sheboygan-OFF
Day 15-Kenosha-OFF
Day 16-Downer Avenue-12th
Day 17-Whitefish Bay-31st

Overall Sprints: 11th (28 points)
Overall Amateur: 11th (31)
Overall Pro: 49th (31)

Okay, that's it. I have tons of photos, but not now. Maybe later in the day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

whitefish bay sounds a lot like the chinese food we experienced this afternoon. aris can attest to that; ask him about the orange "dog" chicken.

should've got the pecking duck with a side of fuchsia reebok pumps.

11:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home