je ne sais quoi

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

What's with it?

Once a week updates? Forgive my negligence, I'm a jerk. Gotta strive for more regularity...but that's how the blog game goes. I don't know how some people do the daily updates...if I force myself to write when I'm not up to it, it's rubbish, and not fun to write (or read).

Bob
foto: Me

So, like many, I've been consumed with the Tour Of California. I realize there may be some bias, as i'm from here, but shite, that was a really fun race to watch. It showcased all that is good and weird and confusing and beautiful about our sport.

Each day had a new twist:

Day 1-Jason Donald's revelation
Day 2-The finishing circuit's controversey
Day 3-That wicked breakaway that 30 superstars couldn't pull back
Day 4-Bettini! Saluting, even though he only won by 1 mm! And Ciolek's headbangin' sprint!
Day 5-Jens Voigt and Levi Lephiemer can Time Trial? Really?
Day 6-Health Net: Why on earth did they chase that break down? Weirdos. And JJ!
Day 7-Menzies in a breakaway. Bob Roll's Style & Grace. Ivan Dominguez doin SoCal proud.

Each day had something going. Le Tour, for instance, always has a couple dull days. Nothing about the TOC race was a formality. And bang up job to Priority Health! I'm sure some were wondering if they deserved the start, and they proved they did -with great style. And some teams (Starts with a "B" ends with a "C"), well...they just ended up being a really expensive marketing lesson for their sponsors. Health Net wasn't stellar, but the coverage on the web was great! I really was gunning for Karl to pick up a stage win (or five), but ah well.

Sppppprint
foto: me

Funny story: A friend of mine gave me his "vip pass". The race was almost over, and I had the whole course to cross, so I bee-lined for the finishing area. I never made it to the vip area, but instead was stuck right in the middle of the course, right where all the press photographers were hanging out. ON the course. It's amazing how these camera guys just plop themselves right there, no barriers, and only 10-15 meters from the line. Insane! And I was there, and got that shot with my little camera. But it's one of those moments where you're just not sure where to look, and you cannot be decisive or anything, as it's over in 1/1000th of an instant. But still, so cool. The Toyota-United staff was all over the place afterwards, high-fiving, smiling, the whole bit. As they should be. Without that W, it would've been a disappointing (at best) tour for them.

I was one of these guys, except closer! Madness!


What the hell's goin on from the waist down, Ms. Specialized Angel? No, really, I'd like an explanation.

Oh...I raced too, in the morning. The race report begins with a flat tire -on my car. I flatted just as I entered long beach. Rolled on the flat for a couple minutes 'till the next exit. Gah. Still a couple miles from the registration area. The tire was shred, and I couldn't safely go above idle speed any longer. Ah well, things like this don't effect my racing as much as it would others...I'm well-trained for procrastination. Later in the afternoon, I ran into Brent an hour or so before his race. I was tired, and asked if he'd change the flat for me, but he said that he was a bit tired himself. Tired from what, guy? It isn't even a Grand Tour. Ah well. He missed out on some fun times....ugha. Also, what Velonews won't tell you is that 99% of the time, if Brook Walters says "i'm tired" before a race, he goes on to win it handily. Sunday fell into that 1%, somehow...perhaps he wasn't tired enough??

Anyhow, the amateur race: big field, sold out. Successfull Living was the only pro team out there, and an isolated Priority Health guy, who'd dropped out of the tour a couple days earlier. A couple laps in, it was clearly evident (after no one could get more than 10 seconds on that course) that it'd be a field sprint. There were plenty of crashes, all bad. One of the polish guys (yep...they're everywhere) crashed and somehow caught back on (there were no free laps), and raced the rest of the race with half his gleaming-white ass floating in the wind. The course was nice and wide, but lots of variance in pavement, and lots of dots! We LOVE those. Last lap came, I was fresh, but so was everyone else. with 500 meters to go, it was basically curb to curb! A "lottery sprint", as my DS termed it. Not my scene, not on this day, at least. I finished somewhere between 10th and 20th. And If I was in the money, please let me know! The results tent was gone by the time I got back from the trip across town to my car. Oh, the solo Priority Health guy won, beating out at least 6 successful living guys. How does this keep happening?

Merced this weekend! Praying for good weather and subsequent good times!

That's all I've got...

Addio!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home