je ne sais quoi

Sunday, June 17, 2007

An Entry In Four Parts

I've been uncharacteristically busy this last week, and there's isn't relief in sight for at least another two weeks. After which i'll go on a little break and see Paris. Realllly stoked for that. I'll start off with the present, and then just go with whatever I can remember.


One

Geez. Right now, i'm tired. Blacked. 190k today. A couple weeks ago, the team president gave word that we'd be doing a "century style" ride (called a "cyclosportif" in France) that our main sponsor, Super-U, was putting on. I'd never done one of these things before. Does everyone just parade around for the whole distance and drink beers and eat cupcakes? At first, team staff jokingly (my perception, anyway) said, "hey, win this thing! 1st 2nd and 3rd, ok?" Ok! But it isn't a race, right? Me and a couple teammates were to do the 135k race/ride/?. My roommate and I rode the 26k to the start, and we had plenty of time to check out the parking lot scene. I'll confess, I was a bit giddy at the prospect of doing something different. For entertainment, if anything. Also, I totally discounted the fact that there might actually be some quality riders in the field. I figured after 20k or after the first hill, the field would explode, and the 4 UCA riders would TTT off the front. In the parking lot, there were loads of people all about...some on rollers getting warmed up! What?! I pinned my number with 3 pins -a first.



We line up, then take off. As expected, slow. However, there were some lean looking fellas in the field. Cool. Course profile was representative of our region: No flat roads, lots of big ring-able climbs, and a couple harder small-ring efforts. Allright...i'm not seriously going to do a race report on this. In short, the team didn't win. We were wusses, and wouldn't apply the pressure when we should have. I tried to teach them this, by setting an example, but they're just not used to it. Instead of "making the race" it became an attrition battle. I tried...I'm cognizant of the fact that with strength like our team's, in a field like this (despite a few super-rec riders), WE need to MAKE the race...but I can't counter attack my own attacks...not yet. I must have made 10 blasts in the first 60k, one stuck for nearly 20k. In short, hard course, impressive super-rec riders, and a good time. Would have been a great GREAT way to practice some team tactics, but we've still got lots to learn. Gah. Rule #1, Don't be a tool....ATTACK. It's a friggin club ride. The team staff was perplexed afterward at not getting the W...as was I, for different reasons, but hey.

Two-Yesterday's Ride

Did a mellow 2 hour spin yesterday. While riding, this little hatchback rolled by and squirted me with a toy water gun from the passenger window. First reaction was anger...but seconds later, I started laughing....and clicked the gears in hard pursuit. Caught them a few minutes later through one of the towns (speed limit 30k/h) and blasted half a bottle's worth all over the passenger who, while laughing hysterically as well, was trying in vain to roll up her manual window as quick as possible to avoid getting soaked. Nope! I win. Well...I guess we're tied...but in terms of volume? I win, hands down. A grand sequence...and i'm blogging it to ensure that I won't forget it.

Three-Even-More-Super Fred Festival

Last week, the team psyched us all out by giving us a green light to check out the Ventoux Stage of the Dauphine Libere. The stage was on Thursday. I rode to Avignon (50k from the base of Ventoux) on wednesday, and on thursday rode to Ventoux to meet up with the rest of the team somewhere on the mountain. "We'll be 1km before the summit. See you there." "When??" "Whenever. We'll be there." I love how loose the logistical situations are sometimes...and it always works out. I met them exactly there...and exactly whenever.


Ventoux. What about it? It's insane. Parts of me didn't enjoy climbing it. I did though, immensely. I don't have to explain that, the masochistic relationship we all have with brutal climbs can't always transpose well to words. If any of you get a chance, go. Climb this thing. Preferably on a day when a race will go up. Thousands of people...all over the road. Some getting smashed on local wines, some playing Belote, lots having a picnic. Others taking advantage of a perfect opportunity to be exhibitionists. If the climb wasn't so damn steep I would have had more pictures of the scene. So.......homely. Like one big back yard party. And........everyone on the roadside cheered loudly as we rode by. Touching.


The last 5k were no party. It is as steep than the middle 10k, but the trees disappear, and all that remains are jagged white stones littered about. no soil. no animals. nothing. The wind suddenly gets strong, and the temperature drops several degrees. Humbling. On so many levels.


Now: the race. Whoah man. The hysteria. You can be the biggest "cycling is dead" cynic in the world, but you look at these guys' faces....and completely forget any problem or issue or blemish or Bjarne Riis. It's beyond captivating. You just think, "F. I just climbed that as gently as possible, and it was rough...and never-ending...what about this guy? He's just done 150k...". Christophe Moreau won the stage....and if you see the photos of him crossing the line he looks jubilant and strong. But you HAD to see him riding up the last K. Completely wasted. Terrible form. Agonizingly slow. Total despair. Yet he's leading the race. Captivated-Immersed-Drunk. I understand cycling fans now. I didn't before Thurday's ventoux visit.


Four-Goin South

I should have announced this a long time ago, but had some unlucky sponsorship issues, and was never really sure if I'd be able to go. On June 25th I leave Lyon to go to Cape Town, South Africa for 8 days. Why? UCI B World Championships. I got an invite from the Armenian Cycling Federation to attend and ride for the team in the points race ("but aram, you've done ONE track session all year!" I know...I know...) and the road race. It'll be a swell time. I really have no idea what to expect. At all. "B" means there won't be and "A" countries there...all the little nations that don't have the big Pro Tour guns. And Cape Town! Africa! Bikes! And one little twist....the points race...the top 2 qualify for the '08 Olympics in Beijing. Top 10 in the road race also become Olympians. It's an interesting course, and the form ain't bad at all. I'm excited, but apprehensive of course.


Addio

6 Comments:

Blogger Skye Kraft said...

If you pull off making it to the Olympics....(never ending ellipses)........

5:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like the first picture with your head next to tom boonen !!!
great photographs !!

4:57 PM

 
Blogger josh said...

sweet pics, ive always wanted to go to an epic mtn stage....

10:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the hair, burns and trucker hat!

10:17 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

dellalian.beijing.2008.

10:40 PM

 
Blogger Nick HH said...

Whats up with boonen and the guy next to him having womens shorts??

Your hair is Wild!! Don't cut it Sampson!

I think I would look very much like backstedt if I were trying to climb venoux in the Pro T. Minus 2" and 20 lb

10:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home