je ne sais quoi

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

BFE California

Salut.

Every year, there's a road race in middle-of-nowhere, CA. All the SoCal scenesters buzz about this race from the end of the previous season and either (a) swear to never do it again or (b) make it a goal to rip legs off in this way-early season "classic". This is the Boulevard Road Race. In the 1/2 field, it's become an unofficial NRC race of sorts where all the big teams converge and bring their team cars and vans and bikes and riders and staff to middle of nowhere, CA and commence in battle. I always wonder why? Perhaps the timing of it...even still...it's weird.

My race: 11:50 start time. High of the day would be 46 degrees. Ugha. If you detect a tinge (or more) of bitterness in my writing today it's because of the unseasonably freezing temps we've had here lately. The big buzz of the day was that R*CK R*ACING would line up and destroy everyone and anything in their path. I was actually looking forward to maybe racing alongside Tyler Hamilton. I don't know how I would react (i'm not a fan of his...even before the shite went down), but I think the legs would've responded positively (hahh...pun!). Anyhow, he didn't start, but they had a good chunk of riders. Toyota had a couple. Ivan was a good sport and lined up. Kelly Benefits (who surprisingly got a ToC invite), Jelly Belly, etc etc. Conspicuously absent were Health Net and Slipstream. Not quite as deep a field as last year, but still with lots of smashfest potential.

This race intimidates me. Always has. I first did it as a 3. Got dropped. Then twice before as a 1/2, dropped. Sometimes later than other times, but I always ride this thing very conservatively -as if not attacking is going to give me energy to sprint for something. I only now just became cognizant of the uselessness of my approach. This year was no different...

Lap 1: Mellow at worst. I didn't see the front, but saw a small group sneak off. Eh. The climb came...legs were a bit alarmed, but sagged through ok. I missed my feed, and in looking for my feed-person, got dropped right before the end of the climb (if I had a dollar for every time i've done that.....i'd have at least $30!). Eh, burned a match, but got back on with a little group. Lap 2...Toyota was aggressive up front....and in back. Dominguez and a couple of his cronies were basking in the 40 degree ice. Gahh. So lame, this weather. Second time up the climb I made the selection. But. The peleton crawwwwwwwwwwled to a really slow pace on the flat, and a giant group caught from behind. 3rd lap.....I don't remember the third lap. It was cold, and I managed to drop a FULL cliff bar while trying to open it up with numb hands. I got dropped on the final climb, but got back on to what was left of the peleton on the 4th lap. Then dropped again to finish up 43rd on the day. Hmm.

Woke up the next morning to the sound of intense rain rattling the world. I wasn't pre-regged for the crit, so nope. I really don't have the motivation or will to race a p/1/2 crit in the rain IN FEBRUARY. All in all, a decent weekend....except all the driving, the $45 race fee, the lack of a result, the shite weather, and the shite weather.

Also. It pains me to write this, but I got word about my team situation. The situation is simply that there isn't one. I received a long-awaited letter from the UCA crew, and they simply, coldly, stated that I could not return the following year. I can't fault these people or be angry. I got huge amounts of love from them and have nothing but amazing memories of my time there. I'm simply bummed out at the moment, and when you factor in the weather we've had lately, i've been really unmotivated. Perhaps it's time? Riding that first crit with me against 56 lagrangers really made me think of the reality of racing locally for '08 and how fruitless it might be. Being a 25 year old unattached cat 1 in SoCal is rough. There are lots of teams for lower cats, and lots of teams for masters, and what is there in between?

Time to get into my favorite part of this bike game....hustling to find a team! Or....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home