je ne sais quoi

Sunday, June 24, 2007

We got a man down, dude

Strange how things work out sometimes...

My roommate, Simon, got terribly sick really quick. Wednesday before going to sleep he was fine and swell. A short while later I was awakened by sounds of him hurling his insides all over the house. Really weird. So fast! We suspected food poisoning, but really, everything was pretty sound. The same things we'd been eating, prepared in the same manner.

Fast forward to friday night. I got up for my usual 2am bathroom visit, and this crazy nausea came out of nowhere. I thought nothing of it. I slept fine....but...didn't wake up 'till 1pm -a first. When I did get up, I could not walk, could not eat, and only wanted to throw up. And it just kept getting exponentially worse. Normally, I'd be allright with this, but gahhhhhh...so much travel and racing awaits...and olympic qualifiers don't happen every week....gah. So my saturday was a rough one. Luckily, my mom made me pack some "alka seltzer plus" tablets before I left the US so long ago, and those things really helped me through...in 4 hour intervals, anyway. So I went off to sleep. Beat up, pissed, malnourished (must have been a 500 calorie day).

And this morning! Popped out of bed, almost at full strength!!! How??? So weird. A daisy of an immune system. But whatever that bug was...it's no joke. Destroys all will and sense so quickly, easily. I'm hoping tomorrow morning will be even better. At least I can type now. In any case, better then than now, no? And the legs probably could do with the mini-break. Points race is on wednesday. I'm not looking forward to that. On a borrowed $2 track bike (which I have to someone pack and take with me...and hopefully NOT have to pay double for bike transport), on a track i've never been on, in an event i've only ever raced once before. Wow. But the big picture is that road race, and my mind is slowly slipping into the right state of mind.

South Africa. I'll miss the ardeche...dearly...perhaps more than I miss Los Angeles, but it's only 8 days. Maybe i'll miss Cape Town after all this is over? I don't have photos for this entry. Apologies, these things happen. Rush-time. My train leaves soon...and i'm completely dismantling the bike (fork, handlebars, etc etc) to try to get it all to fit. Procrastination nation. Just my game.

Be good, blog people. Win races. Have fun. And don't stress out. Please. Summer's here.

4 Comments:

Blogger brentbookwalter said...

GOOD LUCK ARAM!! Keep us updated!

8:00 PM

 
Blogger josh said...

good luck. being sick sucks, doesn't it? I'm jealous yours was a 1 day type thing, im on day 6 (and knock on wood starting to finally feel like im getting better).

11:21 PM

 
Blogger GerardBalian said...

dude, heres some news to cheer you up...KG...coming soon???! also a funny as hell video. you should be running this thing through your head the next race you have......NEMESISSSSSS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cli448Hgrkk


serko (via g$ computer)

4:27 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Best of luck in South Africa El Duderino (if, you know, you're into the whole brevity thing). i know you'll prevail in fine fashion, and before you know it, you'll be carrying the torch to light the 2008 games in Chun Li's country. Be safe and happy travels.

3:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home