je ne sais quoi

Friday, August 31, 2007

Got My Mind Blown

First: shortly after writing that last blog, the team pres rolled up, unannounced. "Dude. You gotta move out by the 15th." Also, I might have just one more race left, or none at all! Just like that. Weird, but I'm relieved...and the body's tired. None of this is the mind blowing part...

Today was an off day (and with gale force crazy winds and 60 degs outside, I wasn't too tempted to break out of it), and I figured I'd stay active in ways that don't include the legs. Lets try some pushups. Hadn't done one since i'd started bike racing. Not a one. So I get set, go down...one...yeah allright, down...two...ok, down...uhhh -no. The third one was an impossibility. I figured maybe there was a fluke problem and that I should be able to do 15, easy. Tried again a few minutes later....FOUR. All sprawled out on the floor, I burst out laughing. What is this?? Frankly, I'm embarrassed, but perhaps i've uncovered something that could use some tweaking? Out of curiousity...how many pushups can you do? Particularly interested in the cyclists' responses. Also, any thoughts on "pushup ability" with regards to the bike? Pushups work the chest, i'm assuming, and there isn't a whole lot of muscle-action over there while riding...but four?!

3 Comments:

Blogger josh said...

After i read your post i decided to try my hand the pushups. I hit 15. I coulda done more, but stoppped. I'd say 20-25 woulda been the max. They hurt, not bad but not easy either. I haven't done any since I quit lacrosse about 2.5 years ago. However, 'cross prep has started, so maybe that attributes some of the stregnth? Or the fact I'm a climber and my arms don't have a lot of weight to lift. Or maybe there is an inverse relationship between pushups and being good at riding (which I am not). I'd bet rasmusson couldnt do one. :)

3:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Push ups are good for opening the chest up and countering all of the tightness we get from being hunched over a bike (or computer) all week. I knocked out 15 just now, only cause Josh did. Honestly I don't know how many more I would have had in me and I am sure I will feel it in the morning ;0)

5:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lmao

12:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home