je ne sais quoi

Monday, April 17, 2006

Hmm

Some guys have power meters that gauge their race efforts. Others, timers or heart rate monitors. I go by this...if my shorts are still dry and fresh after a race -I didn't go hard enough, I missed the break, or something along those lines. Basically, clean fresh shorts=a shite race for me. After today's crit, my shorts were vile. Putrid, at best. I couldn't wait to change out of them.

So, crit today. 90 minutes. Last stage of the CBR Stage Race. I started the race with a track stand, and jokingly got a gap from the gun. 3 guys bridged up, and we stayed away for two laps. Allright. Then some laps later, a break of 3 monex, and 1 other guy went up the road. I was in good position, so made a bridge attempt. A Successfulliving guy joined me, and we made it. 4 became 6. 6 became 8. Then more guys bridged, in pairs, and it eventually swelled to 13 dudes total. 7 of which were monex! Karl Bordine (2nd GC), and the other Labor guys conspicuously missed the move, so Monex was happy to drive the shite out of the break. It was at this point that I was completely on edge, totally getting worked, almost dropped, the whole bit. We were flying, though, and I didn't (couldn't) look back. At some point while in the break, I jusssssst got pipped with a $50 prime on the line. gahh, I was pissed, I foolishly thought I had it. So we eventually (but not surprisingly) lapped the field. Then monex kept motoring to catch all the scattered chasers. It wasn't even fair for those poor chaps up the road. Mowed down, practically. So once everyone was caught, we had about 40 minutes to go. The race became completely dull and lifeless. I tried to move up a couple times, so maybe I can mix it up, but was forced out by Monex "pros" so that they could continue their leisurely sunday stroll at 12mph all day. It was ridiculous, and what's worse is that the entire field complied with and feared these guys. No attacks. Nothing. Just futility. 5 laps to go, and they announced a GC points prime. Bordine wanted this, I knew he did. Marked him, attacked him, and took it with a healthy gap. He probably needed them more than me, but I'm trying to salvage a shite weekend, and maybe sneak into the money spots. So big bad MONEX lines it up into the bell lap, maybe 6 guys in the leadout train. And what happens? A total amateur (Rudy Napolitano) cat 2 guy handily beats them in the sprint. I ended up 5th. With that many guys, and the race all together, why the hell wouldn't Monex send guys up the road? Total stupidity, and a waste. They took GC, however. Allright, that's gonna do it. Photos to come...

2 Comments:

Blogger Clara said...

Gross Aram.

5:55 PM

 
Blogger Aram said...

Hey, these things happen. You usually sweat lots when you lap the field...

10:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home