je ne sais quoi

Sunday, April 16, 2006

huh?

Once upon a time, back in March 2006, I was winning bike races, green jerseys, getting checks after races, exchanging high-fives, the whole bit. Since then, however, my form's totally J-curved downward. Can't say i'm completely shocked by it all, 'cause you cannot rock peak form all year, but I still expect to be competitive even if i'm at 90%. Cmon, I am Aram Dellalian. I have a blog. I cannot be slow! I cannot get dropped on the second lap of a 5 lap, 80 mile road race.

Yeah. Yesterday was the second stage of the CBR LA County Cycling Classic. I didn't do the first stage. Day two was an 80 mile course (shortest RR of the year), but with a giant steady hill that gets steeper as you near the crest. The race starts midway through that hill, and five minutes into the race, some dude decides to take advantage of other rider's failure to warm up (who warms up for RRs? who??), and sets a ridiculous pace up the climb. The race started blowing up from the gun. I thought I was done as well, but jussst made it over, and thought "okay, i'm warmed up now, i'll be allright." But geez. The next time up (they were 16 mile laps), my bike felt like it weighed 5000lbs, and I was dropped about 200 meters from the top. I kept the group close, but at the start of the 3rd lap didn't have it. I rode the rest of the way solo. Almost 60 miles, alone. And finished an embarrasing 20th place on the day.

Again, excuses are for idiots, and I don't have any. I plan on doing a 2 week base period, with big hours at low intensities to try to get it back. If I still dont' respond (positively) after that, then we'll consult the higher powers. I also will not work 45 hours during the season ever again (if I can help it). I've said it before, i'll say it again, anyone who's competitive at the Pro/1/2 level, and works full-time, is a fookin hero, and would decimate the world if they trained full time. It's so far-fetched to me. I work 20 hours a week, and even that really gets in the way of training. So next week, better weather, less work, and (hopefully) better legs. I've got a 90minute crit this afternoon, we'll see how it goes. I slept for 12 hours last night, so maybe my legs are okay.


Road Race Scenery. SoCal's the best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home